But, oh. Those summer nights. The month of June’s brought us sunshine, sleepovers and plenty of excuses to stay up late and we’re celebrating this month with a little homage to The Pink Ladies, girl gangs and beauty-school drop-outs everywhere. Take a peek at our picks for the first of the summer months, courtesy of our favourite brands, stores and makers, and prepare for a pastel all-nighter to rival all others.
1. If you’ve been reading our recent posts, you’ll know we’ve a soft spot for green beauty and do our best to pick out and promote kind, gentle and ethical products. Clean Beauty Co is a regular go-to for us, mainly due to the fact that their all-natural offering is vegan, cruelty-free and beautifully designed. Our pick of their products is Babe Balm, a multi-purpose beauty balm that can be used as a highlighter, moisturiser and cleanser. Made with Coenzyme Q10, Kokum butter, Monoi, Squalene, Hibiscus and Calendula, use this powerful pink product all over your body and get your summer shimmer on.
2. Allow us to introduce you to one of our favourite brands. Votch is the UK’s first vegan watch company and we are head over heels for its creations. Historically, it’s been pretty tough to find a watch strap that both looks great and is cruelty free. We’ve tried jelly ones, woven ones and chain-link too but nothing feels or looks quite as nice as a watch by Votch. The Pink iteration is our all-time favourite and features a blush-pink strap, white face and rose-gold hardware. Truly a thing of beauty.
3. If you haven’t heard of 91 Magazine, now’s the time to pay attention. The print compendium of all things design-led and creative is a long-time favourite of ours and a big hit with our friends too. The S/S issue offers up gorgeous photography and stories on anything from stationery and shopping to flower gardens and interior design. The perfect read with which to while away the hours on a warm summer evening, this publication offers 100 pages of pure inspiration.
4. What if we told you that ice cream’s old news and the only way to bring the temperature down on a scorcher of a day is with the help of a prosecco ice pop? We Are Pops are the genius creators of Bellini popsicles, icy treats made in the UK with the finest ingredients. Made from prosecco, peach schnapps, blood orange and hibiscus flower, we’d swap a sleepover fuelled by twinkies and wine for a night in with these treats any day. Just remember to pop responsibly.
5. What’s a pyjama party without the proper get-up? We love this Heartbreaker set from Topshop AKA an appropriate off-duty uniform for any Pink Lady. Made from 100% cotton with an embroidered chest patch and motif on the back, this pink and white striped co-ord mixes classic long sleeves and lapels with summer shorts for a pretty perfect warm-weather set.
6. If you’re into sublime design, you’ll no doubt have heard of HAY, creators of very special homewares with architectural twists. This month, we’ve kitted out our bedroom with a selection of HAY pieces curated by Coggles, an inspirational UK store filled with the designer collabs of your dreams. Among the perfect picks we love by HAY are the pink Tela carafe and its matching tumbler. Crafted from glass blown into a stitched textile bag, both pieces have a wonderfully tactile finish. Remember guys, it’s important to stay hydrated in summer and with this lovely little duo by your bedside, you won’t forget too easily.
7. If there’s one collection from Made.com‘s outdoor offering we’re crazy for it’s the Sanna range. Handmade from terracotta by local artisans in sunny Portugal, this collection of spotted ceramics is sure to brighten up your garden, front porch, windowsill or patio in a jiffy. We love this set of two plant pots, splattered by hand and finished with a reactive glaze, so no set is the same. Pop a pair of sun-loving plants in yours and make your living space a bit more inviting this summer.
8. When night-time comes, there’s nothing better than snuggling up with a cup of something satisfying under the stars. Now the evenings are a little balmier, we’re all for heading outdoors but let’s not forget the UK weather can be unforgiving. We’ve scoped out something that might help with that from a lovely little indie store called The People’s Emporium. A coral-coloured throw made and finished by hand, this blanket, like everything else in the shop’s line-up is unique and created with care by talented designer-makers from all over the world.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth