Sunny April is our birthday month and we’re celebrating with a bunch of our favourite things. We’ve scoured the UK once again to bring you a beautiful collection of handmade, ethical and independently-touted gifts and goodies that are perfect for spring celebrations. Whether you’re shopping for birthday gifts, bits for yourself or just fancy discovering a few wonderful new brands and businesses, this month’s wish list is here to help. So, gather your friends and loved ones and prepare to party hard, but with dignity.
1. Should I bring a bag? Can I fit everything in my pockets? Will I lose my phone if I don’t bring a bag? Will I lose the bag if I bring one? Questions we all ask ourselves before a big night out. If in doubt, bring a bag and make sure it’s one you can comfortably wear, run around and dance in that looks amazing. We love this Matt and Nat saddle bag in a dusky grey. Made from the brand’s fancy signature vegan leather, it’s got an adjustable strap (very important if you’re on the tall or short side), two compartments for your stuff, a secret zip compartment to keep your phone and cards super safe and a magnetic clasp, for extra security. With 100% recycled lining and embossed logo at the front, it’s a thing of beauty and we love it.
2. Mille Saisons is a British indie brand specialising in small batch silk accessories. A solo-run venture dedicated to celebrating silk’s gentle properties, this one-woman company makes all manner of quality bits and pieces. We love the luxuriously soft silk eye masks on offer, perfect for self care rituals, peaceful nights of sleep, days spent travelling and hangover days post-party. Crafted from hand-stitched silk with a hint of stretch, each mask has a double layer of cotton padding inside to hold the mask’s shape and ensure a completely opaque finish. Made to order in a range of gorgeous colours, these babies are the perfect gift to yourself.
3. Paddywax candles are something we’ve been obsessed with for a long time but it’s always been difficult to scope out UK stockists of the US brand. Imagine our delight when we discovered a lovely little offering on the Ohh Deer site. Our pals at the online gifting emporium have excellent taste, having picked out a brilliant selection in hand-painted ceramic bowls. All Paddywax candles are created using soy wax and make use of the most wonderful scent pairings for a truly special finish. This sea salt and sage candle is perfect for magical moments, refreshing the air in your work or living space and blowing those cobwebs away.
4. Where are my goddamn party pants?! Oh, sorry, they’re here. These colourful trousers from Conditions Apply are spring celebration garb that we can get along with. The brand is known for its use of modern sportswear fabrics and traditional tailoring techniques, creating ethical pieces with integrity. Their jazzy use of print and repurposing and mixing of materials and methods, means this small-scale business is totally unique. We love its approach to handcrafting deeply-lovable clothing that’s perfect for warm weather and dressing to impress. You’ll catch us wearing our printed pants at any opportunity.
5. Nix and Kix is our secret hangover soother and an all-round winner of a brand. When the sun’s shining and drinks are flowing, we like to switch things up with a few of these babies so we feel fresher the next day. Our favourite flavour is of course, the fizzy peach and vanilla with a kick of chilli. Nix and Kix’s two founders created the brand after falling in love with the humble chilli for its metabolism-boosting and energy releasing properties. Gently increasing endorphin levels for a natural, happy feeling, we love this peachy bottle for sunny days spent outside with friends and family.
6. Tea and Kate is a wonderful store based in a small seaside town on the coast of Suffolk. Offering an eclectic array of gifts, homeware and stationery, the shop is another of our go-tos for beautiful birthday and greetings cards. It’s not too hard to come by Rifle Paper Company goods in the UK these days, but you have to know where to look. From calendars to organisers and of course, cards bearing birthday wishes, Tea and Kate has it all. We love this floral number by Rifle with signature gold script; such a lovely way to wish somebody many happy returns.
7. Now, no birthday is a birthday without cake and as long as ours is vegan, there’ll be no complaints. We’re proud to champion London’s vegan bakeries but we’re also very happy to celebrate any eatery that offers a great selection of animal-free options. Lola’s Cupcakes offers up a variety of free-from cupcakes but also creates a selection of delicious full-size cakes. We’ve picked out this Lemon and Raspberry birthday cake: whole raspberries baked into a vegan lemon sponge, hand decorated with lemon soya buttercream and a raspberry compote swirl. Don’t forget the candles!
8. You’ll all know well by now that Australian indie publication Frankie Magazine is one of our favourite things in the world, and we’re chuffed that friends of YGT often drop a copy on our doorstep. Now that issue 77 is now on sale, we’re lining up outside the mag’s UK stockists for a taste of the action. The latest edition includes stories from inspiring women, literary tours of Aus, the new Frankie Good Stuff award winners, recipes, photography and more. We can’t wait to turn those pages and get our hands on the illustrated fold-out treats inside. Catch us recovering from a night well spent in one of London’s sunnier parks with a copy of this mag after our birthday celebrations. Discover Frankie’s great UK stockists here.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth