YGT WISH LIST | March 2017
The worst is over! Spring is here, the sun is out and we’re tentatively turning off radiators and folding away our winter wardrobes. We’re feeling fresh and optimistic this month, so our March wish list features cheery picks to boost your health and happiness. Oh, and a few bits to treat your mum with this Mother’s Day too. Discover our favourite finds from UK designer-makers and amazing indie brands and feel sunnier this month.
1. We are obsessed with Botanic Lab and we’ll tell you why. No, we’re not into juice cleanses, in fact, we think they’re total nonsense, however, we do love the tummy-friendly ingredients, delicious flavours and gorgeous minimalist packaging wrapped around these babies. This green treat is a creamy plant milk made from coconut, apple, yuzu and matcha and we love drinking it in the mornings to kickstart our day. Remember, forcing your body to rely on a diet of juice alone is not good for it so ditch the cleanses, eat well and be kind to yourself.
2. MagCulture have rolled out something special this month and if you run a small business you might just love it. Experts in indie publishing, the shop and studio not only offers an expertly-curated selection of magazines all year round, but has just introduced a unique subscription box containing five amazing publications that it will send to your business each and every month. March’s box, the inaugural set, offers up the likes of mag heroes such as The Gentlewoman issue 15, Delayed Gratification and brand new titles such as Migrant Journal and the second issue of Racquet, a stylish magazine dedicated to all things tennis (hello springtime). Whether you run a shop, cafe or design studio, customers, clients and colleagues are bound to love MagCulture’s monthly stacks. What’s not to love?
3. Our friends at Ohh Deer are pros when it comes to picking out amazing gifts and whoever we’re shopping for, we always find perfect bits and pieces on their site and in their store. The online shop’s gift section offers up a selection of affordable presents, from unique jewellery and illustrated stationery to bath and body products. We’ve fallen hard for a particular brand in their roster. Savon Stories make vegan, cold-processed soap here in the UK and wrap it in the most beautiful packaging we’ve ever seen. Using natural ingredients and scents from wildflowers and essential oils, these bars smell as good as they look. Our pick? The Lavender, Patchouli, Orange and Oatmeal of course. Perfect for spring mornings and relaxing nights in the bath.
4. Our resident illustrator Chloe Hall is one talented woman and we love her illustrated stationery, particularly the gorgeous cards and notebooks she sells in her online store. This Orange Floral notebook features one of Chloe’s dreamy botanical illustrations of petals, fronds and bright green leaves. A pretty little A6 number, this book is perfect for carrying around to scribble your ideas in. It holds 48 pages of off-white recycled paper and comes wrapped in a minimalist sleeve with a little info about Chloe printed on the front. A sweet gift for yourself or somebody you care for, we never tire of Chloe’s stunning illustrations, especially in stationery form.
5. Our friends at Aduna are crowd-funding! Exciting news and one more reason to share our thoughts on how much we love their products. A super-cool company spreading the word about sustainably-sourced superfoods, Aduna specialise in vitamin-rich, plant-powered foods in very jazzy packaging. Our favourite product from their range of superfoods is their organic Moringa Powder, made from the naturally-dried leaf of the moringa ‘Miracle Tree’. One of the most nutrient-rich foods in the world, moringa leaf powder is a rich source of plant protein, contains fibre and is a source of 6 essential vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, magnesium and vitamins A, E and K. Sustainably sourced from Africa, it’s vegan, kosher and gluten-free. Add it to your juice to give your body a boost.
6. We first heard about 22 Borough Bakery from our friends at Nauteas and have been consumed by desire ever since. Specialising in vegan and gluten-free doughnuts (you’re welcome, London), this indie business is a game changer. Offering up sweet treats baked with care and earning awards and accolades for the top-notch flavour and quality of every batch, 22 Borough are top of our list when we fancy a hit of the sweet stuff. With stockists all over London, from Selfridges to Broca Cafe, Brockley, finding gluten and dairy-free dessert seems much less of a challenge. We’ve met our perfect match and it’s doughnut shaped.
7. Air and Grace have been on our radar for some time, not least because of their patented cushion technology. If there’s one thing we’ve always loved its a comfortable shoe that doesn’t compromise cred and this female-led brand is leading the way. With insoles like memory foam and glorious metallic and glitter uppers, our thing for independent trainer brands just got a little more serious. We’re crazy for the rose-gold Bussey sneakers and can’t wait for the re-release this season. In the meantime, we’ll be admiring the other wicked handmade options in silver, pastel-pink and leopard print.
8. Never one to follow the crowd, our favourite Hackney florists Rebel Rebel have released the Mother’s Day bouquet to end all others. The I’m Every Woman bouquet banishes convention with a heady mix of sweet peas, blossoms, roses and Icelandic poppies. A veritable wildflower feast with a gorgeous array of spring colours, this design is a tribute to rad mums everywhere. Say ‘Mamma, I love you’ with this beautiful bunch, or if you feel like pushing the boat out (which let’s be honest, you should, cause it’s your mum and you owe her one), go for a Rebel gift hamper packed with Land Chocolate, La Montaña candles and a seasonal posy of bright blooms.