November’s wish list celebrates our upcoming event YOUNG GOLD TALKS and the concept of being true to yourself. We’re really bigging up makers, designers and indie businesses this month. Especially those based in our own fair city of London and the friends that will be joining us at YOUNG GOLD TALKS, which takes place on 12th November at Google Campus. The majority of makers and businesses featured this month are solo or smalltime ventures who work incredibly hard to share their message, their amazing aesthetic and unique products with the world. We’ve picked out a few of our favourite bits and pieces from each of these creatives and consider ourselves lucky to call them our friends, both old and new.
1. Set up by James Cadbury, a descendent of the original founders of Cadbury’s chocolate, Love Cocoa is a wonderful service for design lovers with a sweet tooth. Each bar is made from organic, fairly-traded Dominican chocolate and whether t’s milk or dark that’s your jam, you’ll find a gorgeous natural flavours like honeycomb, sea salt and bergamot to tingle your tastebuds. The company prides itself on offering a to-your-door delivery service and unique, hand-packed subscription boxes that make lovely gifts. We love the Milk Letterbox Collection which contains three organic milk chocolate bars, a personalised gift card and a bar of Dominican Republic 37 milk chocolate, Honey and Honeycomb milk chocolate and Earl Grey milk chocolate too. We’re also thrilled to say Love Cocoa will be making an appearance at YOUNG GOLD TALKS so keep an eye out and grab a bar on the day.
2. Based in Cornwall, Mellybee is a designer and maker who specialises in creating unique graphic products for your home, desk, studio and more. Her new collection is a minimalist combination of hand-lettering, inked patterns and modern accessories made from natural materials. Stand-out pieces include great pouches, pencil cases and make-up bags and this pocket pouch is just one of our favourites. Crafted from screen-printed cotton using water-based inks, this baby is available in three colourways with variations in white, black and gold and is finished with a small leather pull cord. Mellybee paints or hand draws her designs using black ink and digitises them before screen printing each piece by hand, meaning every product is one-of-a-kind.
3. Our pals at Shedquarters never fail to draw our attention with their wonderfully selected products and jazzy photography. We’ve had our eye on this beautiful Heavenly Honeycomb Blanket by House of Rym for ages and love the cosy rose tones and traditionally-inspired Scandinavian geometric pattern. Finished with stripes, tassels and crafted from pure cotton, this homeware pick is also available in grey, if you favour a slightly more neutral look.
4. You guys, we totally liked metallic bits and pieces before they were cool and this copper-plated candle holder is a beauty that’s bang on-trend. Another unique piece from creative, online emporium Ohh Deer, it’s equal parts sophisticated and industrial, based on a classic silhouette with a chunky, minimalist finish. Pop it on your desk, your mantlepiece or coffee table next to a pile of books and a cute little succulent to brighten a space up and lend it some design sense.
5. We’re absolutely thrilled to be welcoming illustrator and designer Lola Hoad to YOUNG GOLD TALKS as a speaker. Lola’s hand-drawn type is unmistakable and we love her cool, minimalist aesthetic. A regular at all our favourite markets and events, Lola also champions independent makers and stores, encouraging us all to shop independent. This screen-printed tote bag is a new variation on her Christmas tote that’s perfect for all year round. In black cotton, it makes a sleek statement and helps you to avoid that 5p bag charge at the shops too. We also recommend checking out Lola’s Christmas card collection if you’re on the lookout for simple, beautiful ways to wish your loved ones season’s greetings.
6. Our new friends at Papier specialise in personalisable stationery, perfect for gifting and starting new projects in style. We’ve picked out their peach chevrons notebook, which also comes as a lovely letter set, for it’s soft yet striking pattern. The whole idea behind Papier is helping people to connect with each other in a thoughtful way that celebrates art and design. Printed on premium paper, get whatever you’d like printed on the front of your notebook so that it’s perfect for your first day, your latest venture or your most personal thoughts. Look out for a special treat from Papier at YOUNG GOLD TALKS on 12th November, we’ll say no more.
7. Squirrel Sisters are our go-to for a tasty afternoon snack. Why? Because not only are they a wonderful independent venture run by two cool sisters, their packaging is super cool and their chunky bars come in a variety of delicious flavours. This coconut cashew bar is one of our favourites from the Squirrel Sisters range and boasts a creamy texture that makes it seem pretty calorific when in fact, it’s anything but that. Healthy and unique, the small brand’s founders believe in the power of great-tasting natural food for physical and mental nourishment and take it from us, these bars help with both when you’re flagging. Look our for Squirrel Sisters bars at YOUNG GOLD TALKS, we’re so happy to have the whole range to share with our guests.
8. Made by the forests of Finland, birch water is something a little different. A refreshing source of anti-oxidants, it’s taken straight from living birch forests during the spring and bottled for its rejuvenating qualities. Tapped are purveyours of this magical drink and it’s not hard to see why we like their style. The drink itself if deliciously fresh and natural but the bio-degradable paper cartons in the likeness of birch trees really caught our eye initially. Available in three flavours, we love the bilberry and lingonberry birch water which according to Tapped, will help put a twinkle in your eye. Look out for Tapped at YOUNG GOLD TALKS and quench your thirst with something special on the day.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth