YGT WISH LIST | October 2016
This month’s wish list celebrates fruity, autumnal flavours and getting outside to embrace the fresh new season. They say September is the new January and we tend to agree. This is the time of year we start thinking ‘out with the old and in with the new’, prepping for new projects and making plans. With so many gorgeous seasonal colours on our radar and creative pursuits to follow, here’s our round-up of the best pieces from independent brands, shops, designers and makers for October.
1. Our new friends The Soap Co are an award-winning London-based company who specialise in creating natural soaps and skincare products with a difference; their business helps to support more than 80 people who are blind or otherwise disabled or disadvantaged. Strongly against animal testing and committed to eco-friendly practices, this independent brand (which recently celebrated its first birthday) uses recycled materials for its bottles and champions great design with its minimalist look and feel. We love this black poppy and wild fig lotion, a rich, autumnal scent with softening cocoa butter, soothing aloe vera and healing tea tree oil. We suggest going for the hand wash or bar of black poppy and wild fig soap to complete your collection.
2. Founded by by Tom Cox and Ben Todhunter in 2015, The Exploration Club aims to connect people with the tools needed to live a life of adventure. An inspiring destination with a fantastic online shop to boot, this club pops up anywhere from festivals to community events, touting its wonderful wares. This scout paddle is from the Sanborn Canoe Company and is the perfect addition to a a serious outdoor equipment line-up. Crafted from western red cedar, aspen and black walnut, this is a special piece inspired by traditional travel, ideal for setting out on the lake or river in search of fresh sights and discoveries.
3. Howkapow continues to be on of our favourite online shops and with new design-led pieces dropping all the time, t’s no wonder we’re a little obsessed. This beautiful bar of dark chocolate is an organic blend of 65% cocoa and autumnal, vitamin C-rich berries made by Lithuanian ‘bean-to-bar’ specialists, Naive Chocolate. We love the way that bold pink design offsets the satisfyingly golden foil. Top marks for packaging and for flavour, too.
4. Hole & Corner is a magazine that celebrates craft, passion, beauty and skill. We suggest dipping into the first issue Stories of Dedication for a look at what inspires and motivates the world’s creative communities. From tales of mixology to boot making, stone masonry to the power of print, this stunning publication is a must read. Expect thick, smooth pages packed with unique stories and stunning photography, and of course, an inevitable thirst for the second, third, fourth and further issues.
5. A favourite of ours for their whimsical prints and ever-lovely use of colour, Thornback and Peel are back at it again with their autumnal blackbird and bramble range. A three-colour print depicting seasonal hedgerows, British birds and ripe blackberries, get into the spirit of autumn with their beautiful white and berry-toned apron, perfect for baking a pie, or whatever you fancy with fresh seasonal produce.
6. Elliot Ceramics is a south London-based potter with a flair for creating cool, neutral homewares in unique shapes. When he’s not crafting design-led pieces in his studio, he sells his pieces at our favourite ceramics markets and online from his shop. This freckled vase in a creamy biscuit tone has been hand-thrown from stoneware clay in the wheel. The distinctive shape and height makes it just right for holding seasonal blooms, brushes or kitchen utensils, whatever takes your fancy really.
7. This month, our wish list contains not one but two pieces from the wonderful The Exploration Club shop. The ultimate outdoors and accessories destination for autumn, we liked the look of their Wilson Day Pack as much as their beautifully painted canoe paddle. This small rucksack is ideal for hikes and quick trips; it’s tear-resistant padded and super secure. Plus, the wonderful whisky tones are just right for the chilly fall season. Pack all your adventure essentials inside and hit the road.
8. Sprout London is a plant styling, advice and installation service with a creative approach to botany. Their online shop contains a carefully curated selection of plants that will lend studios, offices and homes an all-important touch of green. This little gift box of cacti is a splendid thing. Complete with care instructions, the box contains six new friends to look after and enjoy indoors as the green shades start to fade and the weather gets cooler outside.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth