We love the excitement and anticipation that comes with that back to school feeling, so naturally, this month’s wish list celebrates the tools and accessories needed to make the first few weeks back at your desk extra special. From sage advice to mood boosters and cool stationery from independent brands, here are our picks for the perfect autumnal month of September.
1. Back at it again are our friends from Ohh Deer with their beautiful Dash Sketch Notebook. Designed by William Branton, this baby marries the traditional brown paper-covered school notebook with a jazzy diagonal line print and lovely foil relief on the cover. Perfect for jotting down your notes and ideas in style, it’s finished off with copper staples for a hit of the modern metallic trend we love. Whether for school, work or uni, this one’s a winner.
2. What’s a first day back without coffee? This three-cup plunge pot from Home and Pantry should see you right. A fine metal filter produces a smooth coffee that doesn’t lack any natural oils and the body’s made of steel so built to last. Home and Pantry is a lifestyle store that specialises in mixing modern and vintage aesthetics; we’d say they’d done a pretty good job with this one. It’ll look lovely up on the shelf or hanging out in the kitchen or office.
3. Are you a packed lunch or school dinners kind of person? If you’re into the former, this waxed canvas lunch bag by Italichome is perfect for getting your sandwiches from A to B. Stocked at online artisan and design emporium BRIKA, this durable number is a great alternative to flimsy paper and non eco-friendly plastic bags and will protect your notebooks and tech from accidental salad dressing and pasta sauce leaks. Made from a heavy duty canvas and hand-waxed in Portland USA, get 15% off when you sign up to the BRIKA newsletter.
4. This enamel pin is made by one our our favourite UK makers and illustrators, Liz Mosley. Cast in black and gold with a squiggly handwriting script, it’s the creative’s alternative to the ‘prefect’ or ‘head girl’ badge. We love the pennant-esque shape and tongue-in-cheek message.
5. Cass Art, the ultimate art supplies destination is your one-stop-shop for materials this term and this Copic Sketch Marker Set is a great pack to start your collection with. Containing 12 twin-tipped markers in assorted colours, these markers are loved by design studios and illustrators worldwide. Plus, they’re refillable which makes them versatile and sustainable.
6. We’ve spotted these lovely Seeds of Virtue packs around a lot recently and think they’re just wonderful. This box set, filled with illustrated notecards and seeds, is from Caro, a lifestyle store, design-led coffee shop and B&B in Somerset. You’ll get thyme for courage, fennel for endurance, basil for good wishes, sage for wisdom and rosemary for remembrance so you can grow with your seedlings and draw a little power from them in tough times. Though September may not be the best time for planting, these virtues are well worth remembering and the box will make a sweet gift for somebody starting a new school, job or chapter in their life.
7. This issue of YCN‘s super-cool magazine explores the theme of ‘growing up’ and examines all kinds of pursuits and ideas along the way. Featuring the likes of Adam Avery, Lauren Crow, Mitch Blunt, Carol Sachs, Nick Ballon, Owen Richards, Javier Tles and Hand & Eye, the creative club’s publication is perfect for a hit of inspiration as winter approaches and new terms start.
8. Homage, originally based in Stoke Newington, London and now based in Seven Dials, Brighton, is a lifestyle store that we love. This set of four bamboo cups comes in muted grey hues, ideal for blending in with your design-led stationery selection and jazzy desk accessories. Enjoy a steaming cup of coffee or a warming hot chocolate in one of these eco-friendly pieces. They’re dishwasher safe, biodegradable and they won’t smash if you drop them – unlike your favourite porcelain mug.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth