Its almost the end of the summer and we’re already looking forward to settling cosily into autumn. Dreaming of log cabins, crisp walks in the woods, smoky bonfires and days and nights spent working away in warm studios and homes is the order of August. We’ve selected the very best handmade, independently touted and ethical goods for this month’s slow transition into cooler, breezier days and hope that you love them just as much as we do.
1. Though Honest Skincare specialise in natural beauty products, they also handcraft home accessories like this Smokey Oak candle. With a patina of woody scents, ancient persian galbanum extracts combine for a homely, musky smell that conjures up lovely autumnal memories. If that’s not your vibe, opt for a light lemongrass, fresh eucalyptus leaf or sweet Japanese juzu.
2. Loving Earth‘s Salted Caramel Chocolate bars are made from specially sourced golden coconut nectar from Java, Indonesia, whole cashews, coconut and cacao butter and Pink Lake salt from Victoria, Australia. Every ingredient has been harvested for generations, making these treats as special as they are delicious. Plus, the packaging is just perfect.
3. Isn’t it nice to write a note or letter to somebody? Receiving post is a great feeling and you certainly shouldn’t forget to write down your ‘thank you’ messages. This writing set by Tuppence Collective contains eight sheets in two light and dark green tropical designs, which have a lovely trans-seasonal feel. Tuppence Collective design and hand-paint beautiful and bold botanical patterns from their studio in north London and their unique stationery is neutral enough to make a great gift for anybody.
4. Stop The Water While Using Me is an eco-friendly brand that uses natural ingredients. Campaigning against water wastage, both the ethos and product design is minimalist and cool. This Sesame and Sage body lotion offers protection for all skin types with healing and refreshing ingredients like moisture-regulating shea butter and organic jojoba oil, soya oil and lemon doing your body a few kind favours.
5. Provincial Magazine is a wonderful new publication on our indie radar. A quarterly design-led zine that explores the delicate and important balance between work and rest, we love its approach to simple, creative lifestyles with zero stress involved. We could all do with taking a few tips from this US mag and living a little slower.
6. Interiors and lifestyle store A Splash Of Colour‘s Concrete Table Lamp is crafted by LJ Lamps. Available in three colours, these concrete pieces create a great contrast between the glowing filament, grey block base and soft textile cable. Perfect for desks and bedsides for a bit of extra light or just a hint of industrial design.
7. Rosie Drake Knight‘s creations are things of beauty. We love these custom-made tassel pouches, handmade in Rosie’s Devon-based studio. Made to order in a variety of colours, each RDK product is inspired by natural textures, minimalist design and everyday functionality.
8. This gorgeous industrial-style planter from lifestyle store Wood/ Grey is handcrafted by Sort London. Made from grey and white porcelain cement, it’s ideal for your little succulent friends and small desktop or windowsill plants. Weather resistant and suitable for indoor or outdoor use, every one of these babies is unique.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth