YGT WISH LIST | July 2016
Summer holidays are here, as is festival, camping, beach and city-break season. We’ve rounded up the best bits and pieces to take on your travels, so whether you opt for a staycation or a full-blown getaway, amazing indie stores, creative spots and designer-makers will make your time away from home just that little bit more awesome.
1. This throw at West Elm is perfect for picnics, beach days and a cosy wrap come balmy summer evenings. Crafted from cotton and woven by hand, this red and white, tasseled beauty is one of our favourite pieces by independent makers Roar and Rabbit.
2. Our travels to Marrakesch earlier this year had us a little obsessed with Babouche slippers. Perfect for chilled days and channeling laid-back, traditional Moroccan style, this lovely green pair by Bohemiadesign is handmade, fairtrade and unique.
3. Wallpaper* Travel Guides are the best. In array of bright colours and bursting with unique information, these design-led city companions will see you through when your wifi’s not working or you want to avoid waving your phone around in a busy pocket of an unfamiliar place. Sleek, lightweight and up-to-date, we take them on all our holidays.
4. With one of the world’s best photographers exhibiting at NPG, why look anywhere else for your holiday postcards? This William Eggleston postcard set from the National Portrait Gallery’s shop includes a collection of famed and beautiful shots from the seminal photographer. Miles better than a ‘wish you were here’ number from the buckets and spades shop.
5. Just because you’re on holiday it doesn’t mean you should forget to take care of yourself. Nourish your skin with a little pot of love by H&O. Made in London, each product is eco-conscious and uses natural ingredients. This tub of Angel Face cream is made from gentle tea tree and rosemary, perfect for gently clearing the skin and soothing it before and after a long day out and about.
6. We’ve got a bit of a thing for ethical homeware store Decorator’s Notebook. Decorated with woven emerald triangles, this jute bag is perfect for throwing in all your essentials for the city or heading to the beach. Crafted in in Bangladesh, this bag not only helps to support isolated communities and empower their women, but also uses natural fibres for a strong, long-wearing and eco-friendly finish.
7. Ditch the iPhone and opt for a pinhole camera instead. VIDERE is the Pop-Up Pinhole Co‘s original medium format do-it-yourself pinhole camera kit. Working without a lens, it instead uses a simple precision laser-cut 0.4mm pinhole to take photographs onto medium format film. You can make it in around an hour and it’ll take pride of place in any camera collection. Take original snaps and channel Victorian holidaymaker vibes by the coast; striped bathing suit optional.
8. Don’t know about you but we don’t love being attacked by bugs or missing the scents of home whilst on holiday. This delicious soy candle from Hackney-based makers OHROS (Hebrew for lights) should help to stave off both homesickness and creepy crawlies. Scented with anything from amber and bergamot to grapefruit and fresh coconut, the soy wax burns for 25 hours, is vegan friendly and hand-poured. We really love these.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth