It’s that time again, friends and we certainly have a few treats in store. May’s motif was a tough one to call so in light of what we’ve been seeing a lot of this month, we’ve themed our wish list around bees and bling; because why the hell not? In April we lusted over luxurious treats and party accessories so we thought it best to show our gratitude this month. As such, we’ve selected a range of handmade or independently touted products that celebrate the sun, the city and of course, our striped golden friends.
1. What better way to show your appreciation for good friends and great weather than whipping up a few cocktails to be enjoyed alfresco? We’re big on presentation and on creative ideas so if you ask us, this set of Copper Gin Mule Mugs from Not Another Bill is perfect for serving your summer drams in. The folks at NAB will pop a recipe card in with the set to get you started and obviously, if you like the look of their wonderfully curated subscription boxes, you can always sign up for the full gin cocktail set, or opt for a monthly surprise in the post. We love snail mail and the contents of these boxes is always a treat.
2. We love anything that feeds our imaginations and tummies so Nourished Journal is our literary pick for May. Now on its third issue, the bi-annual magazine covers travel, recipes and spirituality. Its focus is health, wellbeing and practicality and this edition features a delicious smattering of honey, crystals and sprouting veg without so much as a trace of a haughty ‘how to’ or flavourless listicle. We’re feeling nourished.
3. Pårla is one of our favourite London-based jewellery shops so naturally we love every one of their designers. This Tusk Necklace by CFConcept is equal parts warrior queen and goblin king and we’re really digging it. The delicate gold-plated answer to your search for inimitable summer bling, this piece is fitted on a long chain and crafted from sensitive skin-friendly sterling silver.
4. If you’re an avid Instagrammer you’ll no doubt have shown your appreciation for a host of craft-themed flat lays and workspace shots. We love a good browse and often covet the stationery collections of plenty of our favourite creatives. One desk accessory that every self-respecting maker, writer, designer or Insta-celeb should never go without is the humble crane scissor. We think this gold-plated Beak pair from Hay Mini Market is a bit fancy. Use them for shoots and all your dainty cutting needs and obviously, treasure them like a badge of honour.
5. Illustrator and blogger Annie Dornan Smith‘s British Bees print depicts the UK’s social bee types making it a lovely gift for a friend and a great way to show your appreciation for the little critters. We may be somewhat bee obsessed this month, but with products like this on offer, why wouldn’t we be? Printed on recycled A4 paper, this handmade print marries education and aesthetics like the beautiful watercolour classroom charts of yore. We love it.
6. Thorne & Anchor‘s handmade honey dripper is made from reclaimed Iroko wood giving it a lovely warm colour and subtle grain. One for honey fans and admirers of unique craftsmanship, the handy piece is made using a traditional lathe and finished with beeswax and flaxseed oil to keep it looking tip-top for years to come. Indulge in a pot of the sweet stuff when the morning comes and support a little beachside business on the Isle of Wight in the process. Lovely stuff.
7. Here in London it seems there’s a new supper club popping up every week. We appreciate being truly spoilt for choice, but what of keeping it real with locally sourced and sustainable grown food? We can keep track of this in our own kitchens but in someone else’s it’s a little harder. Cue Bee Kind & Dine, the vegan dining project that’s all about our wellbeing and that of our pals the bees. Offering a bee-friendly menu that considers the natural systems that need to exist to support the food served, Bee Kind & Dine events take place across the city. Welcome guest speakers, eat, drink and by all means ‘bee’ merry this summer.
8. Quill London stocks exceptional stationery and hosts all manner of creative workshops. A cute shop offering a great mix of independent and established brands, the phrase ‘eye-candy’ springs to mind when having a good browse. Their Wit and Wisdom journal is a black and gold foil number from Kate Spade that offers 300 hardback-bound pages on which to write all your lists, wishes and ideas. It’s so cheering to read Oscar Wilde’s famed words, ‘with freedom, books, flowers and the moon, who could not be happy?’ especially in bright metallic lettering. We’re already feeling better.
Words: Emily | @younggoldteeth