YGT WISH LIST | March 2016
Well, the bank holiday’s brought storms and sunshine in equal measures so what better theme for March’s wish list than spring in London? We’ve selected the freshest, floral and most perfect handmade and independently created bits and pieces to ready you for the most beautiful of seasons in the capital. Think heady scents, rain-soaked pavements, blossom tones and a collection of our favourite designer/makers and stores.
1. Our friends at wonderful online shop Collett + Holder have recently welcomed a new range of skincare products to their impressive roster of gifts and products. Our favourite is this Rose Mist by Skin and Tonic London. A fresh, floral spritzer that’s part English rose garden and part restorative breath of French Alpine air, this toning water is made from organic flowers. It has our personal seal of approval just in time for spring.
2. This fantastic Bathing Suit pot from Future and Found is the perfect example of springtime inspiration. This piece is handmade by Isaac Nichols in New York but has a lovely springtime vibe that remind us of walks in our fair city; what’s more it can be copped from one of London’s best creative shops. Now that the sun’s out, banish the bra and get that bikini on for a bracing dip in cool waters at your local lido.
3. Peas and Needles has long been an obsession of ours. A creative indie business run by multidisciplinary designer/maker Lucy, Peas and Needles not only runs weaving workshops and creates beautiful handmade pots but touts babies like this handwoven tapestry too. Spring colours abound and we’re in love.
4. Now here’s something a little special: a pair of Triangle Loop Earrings from Jessie Harris. Handcrafting her wares in east London, this jewellery designer specialises in is simple, graphic shapes inspired by traditional and spiritual motifs. These studs are made from rose gold-plated silver, ideal for reflecting the sun’s rays on brighter days.
5. Sourced and made in London by Sarah of the Good Company, this pale-pink leather card holder is embossed and stitched with meticulous precision. There’s a rough and ready minimalist feel about it that we love too. Pop all your cards in it or use it to store your business cards in style. The leather will soften and darken with age so take good care of it to ensure many happy years together.
6. We recently discovered Square Root London‘s delicious small batch soda whilst browsing the shelves of The Brockley Brockley, a lovely independent grocery shop in south east London that reminds us of days gone by. Handmade in Hackney, these fizzy drinks are a cut above the rest. We highly recommend the bergamot or rhubarb infusions for a refreshing pick-me-up.
7. Chickpea Magazine is our kind of publication. A stunning look at vegan food using seasonal produce and inventive combinations, spring 2016 is a covetable issue for anyone who’s into their green grub. Promoting quality ad-free writing and whole foods, the magazine is available both in print and digital formats. What better way to spend a sunny afternoon than reading up on inspiring ways to round it off seated at your dinner table with friends and family?
8. Any of you who pay close attention to our wish lists will know that we’ve featured the exceptional scents conjured by Essence + Alchemy candle before. What with the development of new aromas and lovely-looking jars and planters, we thought is as good a time as any to remind you of just how great Lesley Bramwell’s vegetable wax candles are. The days may be bright but the evenings are still a little chilly so light a wooden wick for a warm crackling effect and the scent of spring flowers and essential oils.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth