This month’s wish list theme is peace, pastels and rainbows because we’re already thinking about the holidays and how important it is to stick together, be kind to one another and revel in life’s beauties. As a widely loved musical once stipulated, ‘you give a little love and it all comes back to you’. Ain’t it the truth? Behold our proud picks for November, bookmark a few gift ideas for the coming months and take comfort in colour. We feel better just looking at this vivid collection of beauteous objects.
1. This polymer clay necklace by Balilla not only satisfies our regular cravings for gold things, shiny things and all things metallic, this handmade piece is also the ultimate in pastel accessories. The namesake label of designer/maker Lilla Balazs’, this collection of London via Budapest-based creations is all contemporary sophistication and creative cheer.
2. We had the pleasure of meeting Kangan Aurora at this season’s Renegade Craft Fair at that famed creative venue the Old Truman Brewery and fell in love with the selection of contrasting colours and jazzy prints on offer. This cushion is a delightful example of the hand screen printed pieces this small label produces in its south London studio. Stuffed with a pad of soft feathers, this design is called Painter Pink/Sky; isn’t that lovely?
3. The design world is going mental for macrame and this potted plant hanger from geo-fleur is great evidence of why. A woven vintage-style design contrasts that lovely bright green for a here-meets-then finish. Pop a cactus or spider plant in one and revel in the joy of having a little greenery indoors. geo-fleur is one of our favourite botanical experts and we just love her store, creations and workshops.
4. Our friends Shedquarters have recently welcomed a fancy haul of brand new products to their lovely shop including this mint espresso cup. Handmade in the Netherlands by design duo Alissa + Nienke, the stunning marbled finish is produced by pouring liquid porcelain and capturing the flow of colour as it blends together. The pouring technique is visible in the finished espresso cup creating a series of unique patterns and colours. Each cup is one of a kind and glazed on the inside but left matte on the outside.
5. Evermore know their stuff when it comes to seasonal scents but we’ve opted for one of their sunnier options to spread a little joy this month. Hand-poured from fresh soy wax in east London, this grapefruit and bergamot soy candle is a lovely winter warmer with bright citrusy notes. Imagine cosying up with a cup of earl grey on a sunny day and you’re close to the sensation of lighting this baby.
6. 100% of the profits from Kate Rowland‘s Peace pin go straight to Oxfam. This cheery wooden accessory makes a statement and a difference all at once. In this artist’s signature laser-cut, hand-painted style, we think it’d make the perfect gift for somebody you love. Forget the holidays, peace is universal, all-year round.
7. Stop what you’re doing and look at these. We mean really get an eye-full. Aren’t they grand? These colourful handmade crayons are just as lovely to look at as they are to experiment on paper with. Created by Keetra Dean Dixon, they’re well worth the shipping from the United States if, like us, you call the UK home.
8. Sometimes it is hard to stop worrying and just be happy so a little reminder can’t hurt. What’s more, this print is as far from a tacky inspirational quote as you can possibly get. Created by the Rifle Paper Company by way of the guys at Ohh Deer, this bright floral piece will lend your walls a little colour while reminding you to chill the hell out at the worst of times. It’s all gonna be ok, guys. We promise.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth