We have a confession to make… In the midst of September’s madness, busy toiling away on various projects, we omitted September’s wish list. We feel bad about it, honestly we do, but don’t fret. We’ve packed nearly double the goods into October’s wish list and hope that these wonderful items from designer-makers, artists and independent brands will have you singing our praises once again. Of course, there was only one theme that seemed fitting enough for this month’s list of goodies, and that was gold. So, without further ado, here are our picks for this month, all of them shining things of bling, to add a bit of shine to these dreary autumnal days.
1. If, like us, you don’t fancy following the crowd when it comes to planting up your evergreens and cacti in boring terracotta pots, you might want to go for something a little different. This TRex Gold Dinosaur Planter by DingaDing Terrariums is as badass as it is beautiful. We love it.
2. If there’s one creative emporium we can’t get enough of this season, it’s Oh My Clumsy Heart. A short browse always turns into a solid hour spent painstakingly attempting to pick out which delicate piece of handmade jewellery we’re going to spend our pennies on. This Giant Gold Triangle Necklace is a great statement piece. Simple and elegant, it’s a far cry from cumbersome costume jewellery but is big enough to make an impact. Autumn stylin’ nailed.
3. She’s Lost Control is a fantastic concept store based in North London. We’re obsessed with the ultra-modern occult vibes their products tout and are huge fans of their clothing. Our pick for this month, however, is a special little piece; a Gold Good Luck Charm. Ancient Brazilian gold flakes are said to bring good fortune to their receiver so this miniature bottle of gold is a magical little gift for someone in need of a pick-me-up.
4. We’ve done it. We’ve finally found the perfect gold mug for our cold-weather morning brew and we’re crazy about this design. The Gold Fragment Mug by Room39 designer Petra Green is truly a thing of beauty. Petra’s focus on creating modern, abstract and unisex pieces for the home has rendered some pretty amazing items – the bedding in her shop is also on our top picks list.
5. A Golden Palm Leaf Leaf Pouch by Kertis is just what we need to add a touch of tropical luxury to a miserable morning commute. A handmade and hand-painted piece this little pouch is ideal for storing loose change and cards, your sunnies and headphones or other bits and bobs. It also goes with everything. We’re sold.
6. Simone Truong is just one of the talented creatives we’ve featured on the blog. Her work is a dreamy mixture of modern hyperrealism, abstract swathes of melting and fading colour, and still life inspired by the Dutch masters. This fantastic print of a painting titled Aureate Flora, featuring sparkling gold flowers is one of our favourites from her most recent collection of unique works. Read our chat with her here.
7. We’ve been paying a lot of attention to The Aubergine Fox lately. An eclectic Etsy store with a great array of jewellery, stationery and accessories to share, this little label is sure to go far. We particularly like these gold-dipped pencils. A great gift for anyone that loves to see a little of the outdoors indoors. They’re the the stuff of a Pinterest maniac’s dreams.
8. Brighton-based illustrator Hello Marine is one of our favourite creatives. We featured her on the blog earlier this year and were thrilled to discover that she’d turned her hand to making wearable art. This eye brooch ticks all the boxes. It’s bright, gold, super-shiny and has a touch of the mystical villain about it. A thousand times, yes.
Words: Emily Beeson | @younggoldteeth